Sunday, July 30, 2017

Retro Fest

Hello there! Yesterday Bob and I went out to Lancaster, PA for Retro Fest, a rockabilly festival in its second year, and held at Lancaster Host Hotel. We didn't know about it last year, but when I heard about Retro Fest #2 back in December, I made sure to note it, especially because Lancaster is only a little over two hours away from us, as opposed to most rockabilly events being a plane ride away (or VERY long car ride!). We got there just after 10:00 a.m. (it started at 10). After we purchased our $20 tickets ($20 each), we went straight to the vendor rooms, which was of course my idea to go their first, ha. I was happily surprised by the amount of antique and vintage clothing vendors. Nashville Boogie also had a lot of vintage clothing vendors, but not so much of antique home decor. Lancaster is in the heart of antique country though (right by Adamstown, PA, which is the antique capita of the U.S., and where I was last Saturday). 
I bought a few things: a light lime green Pyrex small caserole dish, two bright blue bangles (not Bakelite), and a 1940's vintage fruit print skirt. My favorite find was the skirt. As soon as I spotted it on the rack I grabbed it, and saw that the waist was not tiny, like many vintage skirts are, so I was hopeful it'd fit me. They had a couple of dressing rooms there, and I quickly went over to try it on. It was actually a couple of inches bigger than my waist, but I still bought it. I knew it was special as soon as I saw the fabric. If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know how much I love wearing fruit prints and fruit jewelry! Since the skirt is from the 40's, it's a straighter cut than what I usually wear. I don't think it's as flattering on me as my full 50's style skirts, but I will deal! Finding the skirt made the whole trip worth it.
After I shopped, we headed out to take a look at the car show. It was small, compared to what we're used to seeing, and sadly there were none of the Bel Airs or Caddys that I love. There were a handful of vendors out there too, but I didn't buy anything else.  There wasn't much in the way of food or drink at the venue, so we headed over to Friendly's to grab lunch. It was only 5 mins away, which was nice. After we ate lunch, we went back over to Retro Fest. I perused the vendor rooms one more time, and I ran into a couple of ladies I "know" from Instagram. I got a picture with one of them, and ended up having a nice long chat with her later on. 
We tried to watch the Pinup Contest, but the room was so crowded that we really couldn't see anything, and at times, could barely hear, so that was frustrating. After the contest we watched a band I had wanted to see, Blue Wave Theory. They're an instrumental surf rock band. We stayed for most of their set, and then we left. We went to an antique mall about 15 minutes away, but I didn't find anything there. Then we started our trip home, and made one more stop, at Vegan Treats in Bethlehem. I've been to Bethlehem many times, but never had been to Vegan Treats, and somehow had never heard of it until this month.  It was named one of the top 10 bakeries in the world in 2012! I had also never been to a vegan bakery before, and am not vegan.
Unfortunately, they said they had sold out of donuts early that morning, and I had most wanted to try donuts there. But, the confetti cake also caught my eye, and I got that, and a double chocolate brownie. Well, the confetti cake was definitely my favorite of the two! It was so sweet and delicious. I love sweet food, but it was almost too sweet for me...don't' get me wrong, I'll be getting it again in the future, ha! The brownie was pretty dry, but I liked it, just didn't LOVE it. Next time we're in Bethlehem, we'll definitely be going back, and *hopefully* there'll be donuts!!
I wore my Trashy Diva carnival Annette dress; one of my favorite dresses. I got tons of sweet compliments on it all day. 




The 40's skirt I scored!









Dress: Trashy Diva
Necklace: Splendette
Bangles: Splendette & Etsy (BrighterBakelite)
Heels: BAIT Footwear


~Bye bye for now!




 

1 comment:

  1. So fun!!! It's really interesting to go to all these events and see how they measure up and compare to each other. $20 a ticket isn't bad to take a look and see what you find and you found some good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete