Sunday, October 9, 2016

New Orleans, Part I

Hello there! So, here's my first post about our recent short and lovely trip to New Orleans. I'll posted about the rest of it in another post soon.
So, I went to New Orleans last Wednesday night with Bob, and left last Saturday morning. We were only there two full days, so the trip was a real whirlwind. Since we've been there together twice before, we knew where to go with our limited time. We left our hotel room around 10:45 pm on Wednesday, and went to Erin Rose, an Irish bar that we love. It has a dive bar feel, which we also love. We had a couple of drinks there, and split a grilled cheese sandwich. After that, we went to a bar called Boondock Saint on Bourbon Street. We try to stay off Bourbon for the most part, but that bar is decent. It's always interesting to talk to bartenders or servers in New Orleans. Most of the ones we've talked to are not from New Orleans. At Erin Rose, a guy came in with some dollar bills safety pined to his chest. It was his birthday, too (it was mine on Wednesday). We ended up finding out that in New Orleans, that's a thing; people will give you money to pin to your chest on your birthday, ha. So, someone told me I should do the same thing... and I made a whole $3. We got back to our room around 2:30 am, and so we didn't get up as early as I wanted to the next morning. 
On Thursday we started out by going to Johnny's Poboys, and then going shopping, naturally. Johnny's is my favorite spot for Poboys; they've been open since the 50's I believe, and are reasonably priced, and really good. We of course went to Trashy Diva as soon as the opened at noon, and I got two dresses I had been wanting for awhile but was waiting for my trip, and I also picked up an Erstwilder brooch I had been wanting. We went to some other stores in the Quarter, and I picked up a Hello Kitty cupcake Christmas ornament a the Christmas shop. We also walked over to where a store called Wicked used to be, but I was very disappointed it was gone. They sold Retrolicious and Folter brand there, among others, and last time I was there I bought two dresses.
We took an Uber over to Magazine Street in the Garden District in the afternoon. Magazine is one of my favorite streets in New Orleans. There's a lot of little shops and restaurants one after the other there. We went to Trashy Diva's other clothing shop location there, where I picked up another Erstwilder brooch. We ate at Juan's Flying Burrito there, which we hadn't been to before, and later we walked down to District Donuts, and I got a glazed donut there, which was SO good, and huge. We went in a few other shops, but I didn't get anything else. We also stopped by this outdoor area where an artist named Simon works on his art, and he also employs other artists who paint for him. I've bought magnets from him before, and I really love his paintings. He uses New Orleans phrases in his paintings like "Ain't nothin' a poboy can't fix" and "Laissez Les Bons Temp Roules" (English= let the good time roll). 
I posted a picture below of me next to the entranceway to his outdoor area.



Our first night there; my birthday

 
I bought this dress at Trashy Diva on Thursday


Magazine Street


Simon's art area



My haul from the Royal Steet TD








4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Bristol! That's so fun you got to go to NOLA for your birthday weekend! :D Sounds like you had a great time! Love the dresses you picked up and the dresses you wore. That purple PUG dress and the TD red fans especially look so fantastic on you. I love the brooch you picked up. I just checked out with that one myself! So excited <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a wonderful trip away to New Orleans! Love your photos all your beautiful dresses you wore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO FUN! Sounds like all the important things were covered here - shopping for dresses, Christmas ornaments, and big yummy donuts. CHECK CHECK CHECK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great outfits and it looks like a fun trip! I'm dying to go there and see a TD store IRL!! XO

    ReplyDelete