Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Antique Capital of the U.S.

Hello there! Bob and I had a good time in Adamstown, PA this past Sunday (the "antique capital of the U.S."). There are about ten antique malls there, plus scattered antique stores. We went to four antique malls. I wore the ice cream Bernie Dexter dress pictured below. SO many people complimented me on various parts of my outfit. Most of the compliments were on my dress and purse I had with me, my gumball machine purse. A lot of people thought my dress was actual vintage. Everytime I told people what brand my dress, shoes, or jewelry were, they had never heard of the companies. I wasn't surprised about that; no one I've met in the area knows about the clothing/shoes/accessories I wear. I hadn't heard of the brands I wear until I started reading blogs and going on Instagram a couple of years ago. 
I wasn't surprised at all the comments/stares I got, because the people who go to these antique malls obviously love "vintage-y"/antique looking things, so my "look" would be appealing to a lot of those people. It's still hard for me to be out in public and being stared at. I usually purposely won't look at the people that I can feel are staring. If they decide to say something, that's fine, and I'll respond. You think I'd be used to it by now, after all these years. (I've never really dressed "normally".)
I saw some pretty cute housewares that I'd like to have. But, we don't have the room in our apartment, and I didn't want to spend more money. Once we buy a house, I want to go to Adamstown, and pick out some items for it. I'd love to have a 1950's style kitchen table and chairs, that's for sure. My parents have one. I did see one cute set there I liked a lot. All in all we had a good time, I enjoyed it more than Bob did though, ha. But, hopefully he'll go back with me in a few months.
I bought a necklace, and two bracelets, all from one vendor, who was working a booth at one of the antique malls we went to. The items I bought are new, not antiques. The woman who runs the booth was really nice. All of her items are from France or Australia. I am OBSESSED with the necklace!! It is absolutely perfect for me. I had to put it on right away after we got in the car after going to that antique mall. One of the bracelets I got is picured below, too. My mom is actually going to give it to me for Christmas. 






Dress: Bernie Dexter
Necklace: Booth at an antique mall
Brooch: Etsy (Luxulite)
Heels: B.A.I.T. Footwear


~Bye bye for now!

5 comments:

  1. UGH! I wish I were there with you! Someday, I will go! I'll add it to my bucket list ;)

    Of course they all loved your outfit! The same happens to me when I visit the Brimfield Show, the biggest antique/flea market in our state. Everyone appreciates it more in those settings! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely add it to your list, ha!! :) You must go!
      Yes, that's for sure, that they really do appreciate it more. I guess I need to learn to better deal with the attention, ha.

      Delete
  2. Love that Bernie! I haven't heard of that town, despite being from PA! Glad you had fun! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of my fav Bernies. :) I'm surprised you haven't heard of it!

      Delete
  3. Love this dress on you! So cute!!! Also, Adamstown sounds amazing! Glad you found some good stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete